Adsense2

Monday, December 5, 2011

Miss Read 's Dice

Hi everyone! Today I had to do my second peer teaching. I did a lesson on probability. I don't want to bore you with the minute-by-minute details like I usually do, so I'll give you the short version... it involved a pretend raffle, and a dice game. I did want to show you the giant dice I made, though! At first I was going to buy some large dice from a local teacher supply store, but when I got there I found out they only sold large dice in packages of six, for $20.00. So I went to my usual stomping grounds, Dollar Tree! I bought two small, cube-shaped gift boxes. I took them home and wrapped them in regular white printer paper, and then used my Do-A-Dot Markers to make the dots! Finally, I covered them in shipping tape (also from Dollar Tree) to make them shiny and keep the paper from ripping. Wallah! Giant novelty dice I can use forever and ever!


In other news, I just got back from my class about teaching children with "perceptual disorders" (otherwise known as learning disabilities and mild autism) and I am founding out I am getting an A!!!
I also got two links you might find useful in some way. The first is a video of a boy explaining what it feels like to have dyscalculia. He's British so it may be a little hard to understand if you're from the USA, But he's so funny, and he describes it very well, in a way that would be inspirational to other kids with learning disorders. Here's the video...





The next is a video about how to do multiplication, lattice style. Its kind of a cool way to do multiple digit multiplication. A cool trick to show kids, if they are having difficulty with regular multiplication! 



So, that's it for now! I hope everyone is having a great week so far! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to share with the class?