Adsense2

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Does Your School Allow Class Pets?

Hi everyone! I don't know if I've ever mentioned this before, but I absolutely love animals. I have two dogs and a cat, and I would have even more animals if I was allowed to where I live! I even volunteer for a pet rescue organization. So, whenever I envision my future classroom, I imagine having at least one class pet. And I don't mean a beta fish in a tiny bowl. I mean something that would really become part of the class. If I had fish, I would want an aquarium with several different fish, so that the kids could learn about fish and their needs, and how to take care of them. I've also thought of a guinea pig or a chinchilla, or a bearded dragon. I would love to have a bird. Perhaps a hedgehog. Or maybe a rat! Don't be grossed out... rats make awesome pets! Anyone who has one will agree with me. 


I even found out about Petsmart's deal where teachers can apply to get a free small animal for their classroom. 


However, I know that many schools now don't allow classroom pets, because of allergy issues. I almost feel like I want to ask the question when I go to interview... "What is your policy on classroom pets?" But since I can't afford to turn down a job offer based on whether they will allow me to have a class pet, I thought I'd just wait and see. In the mean time, I want to hear from YOU!


Do you, or have you ever, had a class pet? If so, what did you have? 


Does your school have a specific policy on class pets? 


Thanks for the info and opinions, everyone! I always like to hear what you have to say. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have something to share with the class?